The name of La Motte-Tilly is mentioned for the first time in 1369, attesting to the existence of a feudal clod and the presence of lime trees.
A first castle, surrounded by a moat, is located on the banks of the Seine.
It was destroyed around 1740 when the estate acquired mills and grain stores.
In 1748, the seigneury of La Motte-Tilly was bought by the Terray brothers: Father Joseph Marie Terray (1715-1778), future Comptroller General of Finance of Louis XV, and his brother Pierre Terray de Rozières, adviser to the king.
The current castle, overlooking the Seine, was built in 1754 on the plans of François Nicolas Lancret, who designed a pleasure residence intimately associated with a "French-style" park comprising groves, views and a water mirror.
The architect did everything possible to provide this castle with all the modern comforts. In 1780 the estate fell to Antoine Jean Terray who modernized the interior of the castle, creating the monumental staircase and the large dining room. To satisfy the romantic taste of the time, a landscaped park with exotic essences is substituted for the original park.
During the revolution, the castle was declared a "national property" and an inventory of 1605 lots was drawn up.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Count Gérard de Rohan-Chabot, based on Lancret's plans, decided to restore the castle and the park to their original 18th century appearance.
The "French-style" park has been redesigned. The Marquise de Maillé continued her father's restoration work, advised by the architect Claude Hodanger and the decorator Victor Grandpierre.
The castle is refurnished with works of art and precious furniture from 18th century Parisian cabinet makers. Raymond Subes designed the majestic grid of honour.
In 1969, the Marquise de Maillé decided to leave the castle and estate of La Motte-Tilly (1080 hectares) to the "Caisse Nationale des Monuments et Site Historiques", now the "Centre des Monuments Nationaux".
In 2005, the Centre des Monuments Nationaux created a "Tilletum" in the park, a remarkable plant collection of 73 different lime trees from all over the world. For its exemplarity, the Tilletum de La Motte-Tilly was awarded the label of "approved collection" by the Conservatoire des collections végétales spécialisées in 2010.
Since March 2011, La Motte-Tilly Park has been a "Remarkable Garden", a label awarded by the Ministry of Culture. It informs the general public of gardens whose design, plants and maintenance are of a remarkable standard, whether private or public, protected or not as monuments or sites.
- Car park
- Free car park
Reduced price: 6.50 €
Adult: 8 €.
Free entry for children < 18 years, Job-seeker, teachers, disabled people and accompanying persons.
All year round, daily.
Closed exceptionally on January 1st, May 1st and December 25th.